Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Explore the Writing Style


It has been quite a few years I am in touch with writing. Personally, writing is not my strong side, each time when teachers peer editing my paper, red dots and comments are everywhere. In order to improve my writing skills, my teacher Ms. Davis back in high school taught me many ways and styles of writing. What kind of paper is persuasive? What type of writing style belongs to narrative? At what time we could use first person to write the piece? Many questions are popping up in my head, and at least I guess this is what she has successfully taught me, also, brainstorming.

On Tuesday’s writing class, we were told to bring two copies of our third draft essay. Each one was joined in 3 people’s group, and we were in chance to revise each other’s pieces. Very useful. I have to say one of the classmates in my group gave me so many great ideas about my Literacy Memoir essay. In other words, she suggested me to change the way of Defoe’s (the writer of the Adventure of Robinson Crusoe) part, avoid the “old fashion”, and to make it perfectly fit in my story. Moreover, she prompted me to put a few sentences somewhere that says I was still inspired by the story today. Therefore, I had more connection between the story and my own experience.

Overall, the class provided us a great opportunity to receive more suggestion and advices from each other, and do great on our essay!

2 comments:

  1. I would say that writing is not what I am good at too. Before coming to the United States, I was afraid of writing in English, but now I found writing is fun. As you wrote, in last Tuesday's writing class, we were asked to peer review. I found it's really useful, my classmates gave me many good suggestions about my essay. Since mose of our classmates are Americans, they could give us a lot of help in writing skills. I am very pleased to have this class. I have really learned something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think take 3 copies of draft and discuss is really helpful way to improve our writing skill, its not only teach us how to write but also let learn others experiences and find other's problem is another way to improve yours.

    ReplyDelete