Thursday, March 14, 2013

Personal First Work Experience


This Wednesday, I had my first work experience in school dining room. To be honest, this job is my first job in my life, and I was super excited about having this work experience. Dining office assigned me as one employee in the Terra Salsa Verde section in Hubbard Dining Hall.

At the beginning, I thought we only need to serve people food, and it is simple. But I was wrong. We have a lot of works need to do, not only serving. Firstly, I learned how to operating the cooking machines for making nachos and quesadillas. Personally, I was not sure if I can make Mexican food for people, even I tried several times of tacos, quesadillas and burritos before. Also, like majority of Chinese students knows, we rarely had Mexican food in China, so I had less confidence about cooking this kind of food. However, after awhile, I found it is not hard, and we only need to memory the name for the ingredients, then follow the instructions shown on the side of cooking machine. During my other half of work time, my job was to help people put toppings on their nachos, quesadillas and tacos. The most amazing part of this job is I would never feel alone, because people were always in the fruit line. Also, when the food gets empty, I had to go back to the cooling room and filled more food in it. It is fun. After the dining room was closed, all the employees had the responsibility to clean the dining area, so that next morning shift can have less to do.

I am really appreciated that I got the chance to do this job. Because in this way, I not only learned how to cook and serve food, it is also a social experience that can practice in my life. Moreover, it is so meaningful that start from now on, I had my own salary and job, and really proud of myself.:)

3 comments:

  1. It's good for you to have a job at school. I haven't started to work now, but after reading your blog, I felt I should go get a job at school like you. Accumulating personal working experience is good for our later life. Working in the dining hall seems suitable for you since I have heard you are interested in cooking. Have fun and learn something from your work! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice that you have found a job at school that you enjoy, especially that you're cooking since you said you really like doing that. I'm also interested in finding a job but I haven't found one yet at school that fits my interests. Hopefully I will be able to find one next year that I will enjoy doing. Good luck with your job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, I do familiar job with you and I enjoyed it too. Actually I do not know how to cook at all, with the help of others I can do all of them within short times. Hopefully people who eat at Akers like it. It is good that you enjoy your job or it is hard to spend such long time in there. good job!

    ReplyDelete